Tuesday, April 23, 2024
Main Menu

Vehicles, donated to Sindh police taken over by interior ministry

CM orders creation of separate unit for security of judiciary

KARACHI: Sindh Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah on Friday expressed his utter surprise when he was informed that the equipment and bomb disposal vehicles donated by the United States and the United Kingdom to the Sindh Police had been taken over by the ministry of interior.

During a meeting to review the revamping and strengthening of the special branch and counter-terrorism department of police at CM House, Mr Shah was informed that the bomb disposal equipment and vehicles donated by the US and the UK to the Sindh police had been taken over by the federal ministry of interior.

Mr Shah entrusted senior minister Syed Murad Ali Shah with the task of taking up the issue with Islamabad and get the equipment and vehicles released. He said that the country was in a state of war. “We are fighting against terrorism with national unity and valour for which the police department, especially the Special Branch and counterterrorism department, are needed to be revamped.”

Additional IG (special branch) A.D. Khwaja informed the meeting that manual system of reporting still existed in the branch due to the absence of a central data bank, poorly maintained manual record keeping, large inventory of dysfunctional security equipment, ineffective canine unit, and lack of specialised intelligence training facilities and depleted office infrastructure or equipment.

Mr Khwaja said under an automation plan, there would be a centralised database at the headquarters, all field units would be connected with it with online sharing of information, reporting and digital archiving.

He said revamping of Foreigners Registration Section (FRS) and automation of registration process were needed. All the district offices were to be connected with the headquarters.

Briefing the meeting on the bomb disposal unit, Additional IG Khwaja said its key job was to identify, detect, defuse and safely dispose of explosives. The unit also conducted technical sweeping and gave expert reports on bomb explosions and seized explosives, he said.

The branch had to purchase equipment, upgrade bomb disposal unit’s store and create post-blast investigation unit, he added.

He said Rs20 million was required for the bomb disposal unit revamping.

 






Comments are Closed