Saturday, July 13, 2024
Main Menu

Quetta attack condemned by Oman government

MUSCAT, AUG 14 (DNA) – A terrorist attack two days ago in Pakistan has been condemned by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) in a statement.

“The Sultanate condemns the terrorist attack in the city of Quetta in Pakistan, which injured and killed scores of innocent people. The Sultanate calls for the compassion for the victims and healing for the injured,” MOFA said.

On Saturday, a bomb exploded near a crowded market in the Pakistani city of Quetta, killing at least 15 people, officials said, the latest attack to hit the restive southwestern province of Balochistan.

Middle East-based IS, which has a branch of loosely affiliated fighters in Afghanistan and Pakistan, claimed the attack shortly afterwards, saying a motorcycle suicide bomber had killed 17 soldiers.

The powerful blast hit as a paramilitary patrol passed by on the road, Balochistan provincial home minister Sarfraz Bugti said, adding the patrol may have been the target.

“According to the information we have received so far, there are around 15 casualties, people who were martyred, and around 40 people were wounded,” Bugti said.

He said a state of emergency had been imposed in the city and all hospitals were on alert.

Quetta’s chief of bomb disposal squad, Aslam Tareen, said initial information was that a suicide attacker rammed a motorcycle into a military vehicle.

Pakistan’s army press wing said the patrol was the target and there were at least seven civilians among the 15 killed.=DNA

==============






Comments are Closed