Uyghur philanthropist sentenced to death for unsanctioned Hajj

BEIJING, NOV 22 (DNA) – Authorities in northwest China’s Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) have sentenced a prominent Uyghur businessman and philanthropist to death for taking an unsanctioned Muslim holy pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia, according to his brother.
Abdughapar Abdurusul, of Bakyol district in Ili Kazakh (in Chinese, Yili Hasake) Autonomous Prefecture’s Ghulja (Yining) city, “was arrested in July or August,” his brother Abdusattar Abdurusul recently told Radio Free Asia (RFA’s) Uyghur Service, citing Abdughapar’s Kazakh business partners living in Kazakhstan’s Almaty city.
“The latest I heard is that my brother has been given a death sentence and he is waiting for his execution to be carried out … The reason is that he went to perform hajj on his own [instead of joining a state-sanctioned tour group],” he added, referring to the annual Muslim holy pilgrimage to Mecca in Saudi Arabia.
US State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert recently said the U.S. government was “deeply troubled” by the crackdown on Uyghurs, while U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley described it last month as “the largest internment of civilians in the world today” and “straight out of George Orwell,” during a speech at the Chiefs of Defense Conference Dinner in Washington. DNA
—————————————
Related News

Central Asia at the forefront of the fight against climate change and Uzbekistan’s regional policy
Azamat Sulimanov, Head of division, Institute for strategic and interregional research under the President ofRead More

Malaysian High Commission hosts sumptuous Eid Milan Open House
ISLAMABAD, APRIL 3 (DNA):The Malaysian High Commission in Islamabad warmly welcomed the families of PakistanisRead More
Comments are Closed