Wednesday, May 22, 2024
Main Menu

59 police recruits martyred, army chief arrives in Quetta

ARMY Chief General Raheel arrives in Quetta.

QUETTA: At least 59 police recruits were martyred and 116 people, including recruits and FC personnel, were injured after three terrorists stormed the Police Training Centre located on Sariab road here late Monday night.

A loud explosion also occurred in the vicinity that echoed to far-flung areas, our correspondent said, resulting in panic for a brief period. Sources said the attackers also lobbed three crackers which resulted in a fire breaking out inside the centre.

Heavy contingents of police and Frontier Corps reached the spot and surrounded the vicinity. Pakistan Army, FC troops, as well as police commandos cleared the hostels after four hours of operation. Recruits of the college have returned to their barracks.

Talking to media personnel, Balochistan Home Minister Sarfraz Bugti said that three militants had targeted the guard of the hostel before entering the premises.

“The militants targeted the sentry stationed at the watch tower. He fought bravely against the militants but embraced martyrdom,” he said.

At the time of the attack, an estimated 700 cadets were present inside the Police Training Centre, Bugti said, adding that two suicide bombers blew themselves up inside the training centre. One of the terrorists who was also wearing a suicide jacket was killed before he could detonate himself. “Due to timely action any major loss was thwarted and 250 cadets were rescued,” he said.

Attackers belonged to Lashkar-e-Jhangvi Al Almi: IG FC

IG FC Major General Sher Afghan informed the press that the attackers acted on directions from Afghanistan and the initial investigation suggests that the terrorists were affiliated with Lashkar-e- Jhangvi Al Almi.

According to a recruit who witnessed the entire situation, the militants had barged into the training centre around 11:30 PM and opened indiscriminate fire. “Then, they entered into the barracks,” he said. The militants’ faces were covered.

Meanwhile  COAS General Raheel Sharif arrived Quetta. DGISI and DG MI also accompanying him.

Comments are Closed