Afghan defence minister, army chief resign after Taliban attack
KABUL, APR 24, (DNA) – Afghan President Ashraf Ghani accepted on Monday the resignation of the defence minister and army chief of staff after more than 140 government soldiers were killed in a Taliban attack on an army base last week, the president´s office said.
“Defence Minister Abdullah Habibi and Army Chief of Staff Qadam Shah Shahim stepped down with immediate effect,” the presidential palace announced in a post on its Twitter account.
Shah Hussain Murtazawi, acting spokesman for Ghani, told the resignations were because of Friday´s attack in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif.
At least 140 soldiers were killed and many wounded, an official in the city said on Saturday.
Other officials said the toll was likely to be even higher.
Related News
Syrian FM concludes historic Pakistan visit
ISLAMABAD, 21 Aug /DNA/ – The first official visit of a Syrian Foreign Minister toRead More
Congo Defence delegation calls on Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir
RAWALPINDI, Aug 21: A high-level defence delegation of the Democratic Republic of Congo, headed byRead More


Comments are Closed