‘We’re not in crisis’: New Saudi foreign minister takes the reins
RIYADH, DEC 29 (DNA) – Saudi Arabia’s new foreign minister struck a note of defiance Friday in the face of international outrage over critic Jamal Khashoggi’s murder, denying the kingdom was in crisis and that his predecessor had been demoted.
Ibrahim al-Assaf, a former veteran finance minister who was briefly detained last year in what Riyadh said was an anti-corruption sweep, replaced Adel al-Jubeir as foreign minister in a major government shake-up on Thursday ordered by King Salman.
Assaf insisted the restructuring was motivated not by the Khashoggi affair, but the need to make the government machinery more efficient.
“The issue of Jamal Khashoggi… really saddened us, all of us,” Assaf told at his residence in Riyadh.
“But all in all, we are not going through a crisis, we are going through a transformation,” he added, referring to social and economic reforms spearheaded by the crown prince.
Related News
New US carrier strike group arrives in Middle East: Military
WASHINGTON, AUG 20: A new US aircraft carrier strike group has arrived in the MiddleRead More
Trump announces ‘crushing’ economic war on Iran, warns backers of ‘tremendous’ costs
WASHINGTON, AUG 20: US President Donald Trump has announced what he called the “MOST CRUSHINGRead More


Comments are Closed