Genocide Watch urges UN to warn India to not commit genocide in Kashmir
WASHINGTON (DNA) – Genocide Watch – a U.S. based organization that exits to build an international movement to predict, prevent, stop, and punish genocide and other forms of mass murder – has issued an alert for Indian-occupied Kashmir in the wake of India’s ongoing atrocities, aggression and clampdown in the Muslim majority region.
“On August 5, 2019, the Indian President revoked the Special Autonomous Status of India Administered Jammu and Kashmir under under Articles 370 and 35A of the Constitution of India. India has over 600,000 troops in Kashmir. Movement of people and freedom of the press are restricted. India has cut off internet communications,” Genocide Watch stated in its alert.
The organisation has also given a list of risk factors for a genocide that are early warnings of massacres in occupied Kashmir:
1. Prior genocidal massacres and continuing impunity for such killings;
2. Continued armed conflict between India and Pakistan over border areas in Kashmir;
3. An exclusionary ideology of “Hindutva” – India as Hindu nation – by Modi’s ruling BJP;
4. Authoritarian military rule without legal restraints imposed by civilian Indian officials;
5. Rule by a minority military force (Hindus and Sikhs) over majority Muslim citizens;
6. Cut-off of communications and outside access by internet, media, and trade;
7. Widespread violations of basic human rights – torture, rape, 2-year detentions without charge, arbitrary arrests and deportations of Muslim political and human rights leaders.
Genocide Watch’s stages of the genocidal process are also far advanced:
1. Classification: Hindu and Sikh Indian Army “us” vs. Kashmiri Muslim civilian “them;”
2. Symbolization: Muslims have Muslim names (on ID cards), Kashmiri language, dress, mosques;
3. Discrimination: Hindu pandits were economically dominant until 1990; BJP reasserted Hindu power;
4. Dehumanization: Muslims are called “terrorists”, “separatists,” “criminals,” “insurgents;”
5. Organization: 600,000 heavily armed Indian Army troops and police dominate Kashmir;
6. Polarization: Modi and the BJP incite anti-Muslim hatred; social media spread falsehoods;
7. Preparation: The Indian Army occupies Kashmir; BJP leaders speak of the “Final Solution” for Kashmir;
8. Persecution: Kashmiri Muslims are locked down, subject to arrest, torture, rape, and murder;
Genocide Watch has urged the United Nations and its members to warn India not to commit genocide in Kashmir.
NAB asks Ex-PM Abbasi to appear tomorrow
ISLAMABAD : The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) on Tuesday summoned PML-N leader and former primeRead More
Infinix, Atif Aslam join hands to launch much-awaited Infinix Zero 8
DNA ISLAMABAD, SEPT 29 – Infinix, Pakistan’s top selling smartphone brand is gearing up to launchRead More