Iran considers attacking US military targets in Europe if Trump escalates: Report
TEHRAN, AUG 19: Iran is considering attacking US military assets in Europe if US President Donald Trump decides to escalate the conflict, regime insiders told the Financial Times on Tuesday.
According to the two sources, Iranian forces have weighed striking US military targets in south-eastern Europe such as in Bulgaria, which recently authorized US aircraft to refuel at its Bezmer airbase. Cyprus, where a British air base was hit by a drone in March, was also named as a potential target.
Sub-sea fiber optic cables in the Strait of Hormuz have also been considered as a target in the event of any renewed US offensive, according to the report.
The 60-day memorandum of understanding signed in Islamabad has expired with no progress on negotiations to open the strait. Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei last week appointed hardliners to top security and military posts. Trump confirmed on Tuesday that there were “no talks or conversations going on or scheduled” with Tehran.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Corps have explicitly warned that, in any return to full-scale conflict, Iran would move beyond its previous strategy of hitting US assets and strategic infrastructure in the Middle East to more distant targets.
Iran has proven willing to go after distant targets. Washington has accused Iran of firing multiple missiles at Diego Garcia, a joint US-UK military base in the Indian ocean in the early weeks of the war. None of the missiles reached their target over 4000 kilometers away. Turkey also reported NATO air defenses intercepting Iranian ballistic missiles in March, the same month that the Cyprus base was struck, although Western officials have said they suspect it was an Iranian drone fired by regional proxies.
An Iranian attack on a US base in Jordan last month killing three American soldiers was the most accurate long range attack the regime has carried out, demonstrating its capacity to hit distant targets, the insiders reportedly said.
Related News
Norway drops case against Umar Farooq Zahoor due to lack of evidence, vindicating him after 16 years
Monitoring Report LONDON/OSLO: In a landmark legal victory, the Norwegian government has given a cleanRead More
NATO ready to address any threat
Meanwhile, U.S. Senator Marco Rubio highlighted maritime security in a call with a senior officialRead More


Comments are Closed