‘High-level’ probe ordered into vandalism of churches in Faisalabad
LAHORE: The interim Punjab government has ordered a high-level inquiry after a mob set fire to a number of churches and vandalised Christians’ homes during a rampage on Wednesday, with authorities saying over 100 people had been arrested.
The mob made its way through a predominantly Christian area on the outskirts of the industrial city of Faisalabad after allegations spread that the Holy Quran had been desecrated.
“This was a well thought out plan to disrupt peace and a high-level investigation is underway regarding the desecration of the Holy Quran and incidents that take place afterward,” a spokesperson for the provincial government said in a statement.
The spokesperson said police “foiled” the bid to attack the homes of the minorities and that the “peace committee” mobilised to ensure similar attempts are thwarted.
“The frequency and scale of such attacks — which are systematic, violent and often uncontainable — appear to have increased in the last several years,” said the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan.
Related News
OGRA announces increase in petroleum prices effective August 19
ISLAMABAD, AUG 18 /DNA/ – The Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (OGRA), under the MinistryRead More
India thrash South Africa 6-1 in record Hockey World Cup win
Sports Desk AMSTERDAM: India delivered a stunning performance at the Wagener Hockey Stadium in Amstelveen,Read More


Comments are Closed